The Word: Help with Word Counts (Infograph by Length)
I’ve seen it many times before where a writer gets lost in a word count and begins chopping at their story to meet a demand or out of nerves thinking their work is too long to be a short story or novel. I decided to create my own infograph to help with this.
Remember, this is to be used as a guide for a goal and not to measure. So use before you finish! Different publishers and agents will have their own guides of what they prefer, but this infograph is to get a very good idea of length. There are different graphics I’ll be making for genre expectations.
Remember, a story is to be based on quality not quantity. I’ve witnessed long books be complete rubbish and shorter ones be excellent. It’s the story that counts not the word count. (See what I did there? Har har)
Published by Author L. Bachman
I'm an award-winning and bestselling author, artist, and soon to be a published poet! View all posts by Author L. Bachman
- Prompt-a-palooza: Week Four
- The Word: Working While Traveling – Convention Prep Advice, Tips, Item Reminders, and First Timer Help
- Story Time: The Easter Bunny is Real!
- Story Time: Echo Boomer?
- Story Time: Information about Story Time (because I probably should’ve said it at the announcement but forgot)
- Kacie Mayse on The Most Satisfying Read…
- Hyman Pizzola on Introducing the Media Page
- Oren Truiolo on Interview of a Character: Maxwell from Maxwell Demon (Refreshing Old Posts)
- Emilio Cecilio on Prompt-a-palooza: Week Three
- Hannah Mangina on Prompt-a-palooza: Week Two