The Word: Help with Word Counts (Infograph by Length)
I’ve seen it many times before where a writer gets lost in a word count and begins chopping at their story to meet a demand or out of nerves thinking their work is too long to be a short story or novel. I decided to create my own infograph to help with this.
Remember, this is to be used as a guide for a goal and not to measure. So use before you finish! Different publishers and agents will have their own guides of what they prefer, but this infograph is to get a very good idea of length. There are different graphics I’ll be making for genre expectations.
Remember, a story is to be based on quality not quantity. I’ve witnessed long books be complete rubbish and shorter ones be excellent. It’s the story that counts not the word count. (See what I did there? Har har)
Published by Author L. Bachman
I'm an award-winning and bestselling author, artist, and soon to be a published poet! View all posts by Author L. Bachman
- Glenn Faist on Introducing Story Time
- Vincenza Slomka on The Word: 12 Tips to Help Writers Write/Reduce Frustrations
- Jamel Codner on The Word: An in-depth look behind independent publishers w/Edd Sowder from Burning Willow Press
- Brittney Mursko on The Word: 12 Tips to Help Writers Write/Reduce Frustrations
- Tory Napier on Prompt-a-palooza: Week Eight